Discover the authentic joy of baking with Butter Maid Bakery Kolachi Recipe. Unveil the 150-year-old secret for a delightful, nostalgic treat. Try it now!
- Publisher: Recipe Volt
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Category: Dessert, Pastry
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 24 slices
- Calories: 150 calories
Butter Maid Bakery Kolachi
Butter Maid Bakery's Kolachi is a time-honored Eastern European delicacy, specifically a sweet yeast dough pastry filled with a variety of rich and creamy ingredients. Rooted in a 150+ year old family recipe passed down through five generations, this Kolachi roll holds a special place in the hearts of those who appreciate the tradition and craftsmanship behind it.
Crafted with meticulous attention to quality, the Kolachi is a testament to the use of premium ingredients. The dough, made fresh daily, incorporates simple yet wholesome elements like flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, sea salt, and yeast. Notably, the bakery prides itself on using the freshest sweet cream butter, eggs, milk, and California-grown English walnuts directly sourced from family farms.
What sets Butter Maid Bakery's Kolachi apart is the commitment to a generous filling-to-dough ratio. The walnut filling, made from the freshest California walnuts, contributes to each bite being soft, moist, and bursting with flavor. The Kolachi is presented in a 14" long roll, offering 18-28 servings, individually wrapped in a freezer-ready gift box, allowing for convenient storage for up to 6 months.
This pastry's origins lie in the term "Kolachi," a generic name for sweet yeast dough pastries originating from the word "kolo," meaning circle or wheel. The dough is flattened into a circle, filled, and then rolled up. Known by various names like potica, beigli, povitica, and more across different cultures, the Kolachi reflects a rich tapestry of culinary traditions.
Indulge in the irresistible magic of Butter Maid Bakery's Nut Kolachi Roll! Uncover the secrets of this 150-year-old family recipe and elevate your baking experience. Dive into a world of tradition, flavor, and pure joy. Let's bake memories!
- 3 cups untreated wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sweet cream butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 cups walnuts, finely ground
- Mix 3 cups of untreated wheat flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat 4 eggs and add them to the dry ingredients.
- Warm 1 cup of milk and melt 1 cup of sweet cream butter. Add both to the mixture.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of yeast over the mixture and let it sit until it becomes foamy.
- Knead the dough until smooth and let it rise until doubled in size.
- Grind 2 cups of walnuts until fine.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle.
- Spread the ground walnuts evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly, forming a log.
- Place the rolled dough on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled, slice into 18-28 servings.
- Individually wrap slices and store in a freezer-ready gift box. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Enjoy making and savoring your homemade Nut Kolachi Roll!
This is a video about Butter Maid Bakery Kolachi.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 56 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Butter Maid Bakery Kolachi, Butter Maid Bakery Kolachi Recipe, Recipe
Serving Butter Maid Bakery's Kolachi is a delightful experience that complements its rich flavors and nostalgic appeal. Here's a simple guide on how to serve this Eastern European delicacy:
- Slice with Care: Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the Kolachi into individual servings. The bakery recommends cutting it into 18-28 slices, depending on your preference.
- Presentation: Arrange the slices on a serving platter or dish. The beautiful swirls of dough and the generous nut filling make for an appealing presentation.
- Accompaniments: Butter Maid Bakery's Kolachi is delicious on its own, but you can enhance the experience by serving it with a few accompaniments. Consider pairing it with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a side of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat.
- Coffee or Tea: This pastry pairs exceptionally well with a cup of coffee or tea. The warm, comforting flavors of the Kolachi complement the beverages, creating a perfect balance of sweetness.
- Special Occasions: Butter Maid Bakery's Kolachi is versatile and suitable for various occasions. Whether it's a holiday celebration, family gathering, or a cozy evening treat, this pastry adds a touch of tradition to any event.
- Gift Giving: If you have received the Kolachi as a gift, consider sharing it with friends and family. Its freezer-ready packaging allows for convenient storage, making it a thoughtful present for special occasions.
- Quality Ingredients: Emphasize using high-quality ingredients, especially for the butter, eggs, and walnuts. Fresh, premium components contribute to the authentic and rich flavor of the Kolachi.
- Dough Consistency: Pay attention to the consistency of the dough during the kneading process. It should be smooth and elastic. Properly risen dough is crucial for achieving the desired texture in the final product.
- Filling Distribution: When spreading the walnut filling over the rolled-out dough, ensure an even distribution. A generous amount of filling contributes to the moist and flavorful character of the Kolachi.
- Rolling Technique: Roll the dough tightly to create a compact log. This ensures that each slice will have a good balance of dough and filling.
- Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the Kolachi while it's in the oven. Baking times can vary, so look for a golden-brown color, indicating that it's thoroughly baked. Overbaking may result in a drier texture.
- Cooling Period: Allow the Kolachi to cool before slicing. This helps in achieving clean, neat slices and allows the flavors to settle.
- Serving Suggestions: Consider serving the Nut Kolachi Roll with accompaniments like whipped cream, powdered sugar, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. These additions can enhance the overall enjoyment.
- Storage: If you don't plan to consume the entire Kolachi at once, individually wrap slices and store them in the freezer-ready gift box. This allows for convenient storage for up to 6 months.
- Experiment with Variations: While sticking to the traditional recipe is fantastic, don't hesitate to get creative. You can experiment with different nut fillings or even incorporate a hint of spice for a unique twist.
If you need to substitute some ingredients in the Butter Maid Bakery-inspired Nut Kolachi Roll recipe, here are a few alternatives:
- Butter: Substitute with margarine or a plant-based butter alternative if you prefer a non-dairy option.
- Milk: Dairy-free milk such as almond, soy, or oat milk can be used as a substitute for regular milk.
- Eggs: For each egg, you can try using alternatives like applesauce, mashed bananas, or commercial egg replacers for a vegan option.
- Wheat Flour: Gluten-free flour can be used as a substitute for those with gluten sensitivities. Keep in mind that the texture may vary.
- Walnuts: Other nuts like pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts can be used as a substitute based on your preference or dietary restrictions.
- Sugar: Substitute white sugar with brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, or other sweeteners based on your taste preferences.
- Yeast: Instant yeast can often be substituted for active dry yeast in equal amounts. However, follow any specific instructions on the yeast packaging.
As you embark on your Nut Kolachi Roll journey, may each slice bring the warmth of tradition and the joy of shared memories. Happy baking, and savor every moment with Butter Maid Bakery's timeless delight!