Discover the joy of baking with our Hostess Suzy Q Cake recipe. Indulge in layers of chocolate bliss – a must-try dessert delight! #SuzyQCake
- Publisher: Recipe Volt
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Dessert
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 12 slices
- Calories: 450 calories
Hostess Suzy Q Cake
Hostess Suzy Q Cake is an iconic American treat that has delighted taste buds for decades. A symbol of nostalgic indulgence, this cake is a chocolate lover's dream. The Suzy Q Cake is renowned for its distinctive layering of moist chocolate cake and a luscious cream filling, creating a perfect harmony of textures and flavors.
The cake's origins trace back to the beloved snack cake brand Hostess, known for its lineup of delectable treats. The Suzy Q Cake, with its sandwich-like structure, features two layers of rich chocolate cake embracing a generous filling of creamy goodness. The combination of the soft, moist cake and the velvety filling makes each bite a delightful experience, evoking memories of childhood snack times and afternoon treats.
The Suzy Q Cake has become a classic in the realm of packaged sweets, capturing the hearts and taste preferences of generations. Its popularity lies not only in its delectable taste but also in its convenient and portable nature, making it a go-to choice for satisfying sweet cravings on the go.
Whether enjoyed with a glass of milk or savored as a standalone indulgence, the Hostess Suzy Q Cake remains a timeless favorite in the world of American desserts.
Unlock the magic of homemade indulgence with our irresistible Hostess Suzy Q Cake recipe. Elevate your dessert game in just a few simple steps!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Filling:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the boiling water. The batter will be thin, but that's okay.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing them from the pans.
- For the filling, in a bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the marshmallow fluff until smooth.
- Once the cakes are cool, spread the filling over the top of one cake layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top, creating a sandwich.
- Slice and enjoy your homemade Suzy Q cake!
This is a video about Hostess Suzy Q Cake.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 48 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Hostess Suzy Q Cake, Hostess Suzy Q Cake Recipe, Recipe
Serving Hostess Suzy Q Cake is a straightforward yet delightful experience. Here's a simple guide to make the most of this classic treat:
- Temperature Matters: Ensure the Suzy Q Cake is at a slightly cool or room temperature. This allows the cream filling to be soft and the chocolate cake to be moist, creating a perfect balance.
- Slicing Technique: Use a sharp knife to slice the cake. If it's chilled, you may want to let it sit for a few minutes before cutting to make the process smoother.
- Clean Cuts: Wipe the knife clean between each cut to maintain the neat appearance of the layers. This ensures that each slice showcases the distinct layers of chocolate cake and creamy filling.
- Accompaniments: Suzy Q Cake is delicious on its own, but you can elevate the experience by serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce. These additions complement the richness of the cake.
- Presentation: Arrange the slices on a dessert plate or platter, paying attention to the visual appeal. A dusting of powdered sugar or a sprinkle of cocoa powder can add a touch of elegance.
- Beverage Pairing: Suzy Q Cake pairs well with a variety of beverages. Whether it's a glass of cold milk, a cup of hot coffee, or even a scoop of your favorite ice cream, choose a pairing that suits your taste preferences.
- Accurate Measurements: Use precise measurements for the ingredients, especially in baking. This helps maintain the balance of flavors and textures in the cake.
- Sifting Dry Ingredients: Sift the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) together. This ensures even distribution and helps eliminate lumps.
- Boiling Water Tip: When adding boiling water to the batter, do so gradually. This step enhances the chocolate flavor and contributes to the moistness of the cake.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Allow eggs and dairy ingredients (such as milk) to come to room temperature before incorporating them into the batter. This promotes better mixing and a smoother texture.
- Proper Greasing: Ensure thorough greasing and flouring of the cake pans to prevent sticking. You can also use parchment paper at the bottom for added insurance.
- Cooling Time: Allow the cakes to cool completely before adding the filling. This prevents the cream filling from melting and ensures a stable structure when assembling the layers.
- Filling Consistency: When making the filling, aim for a smooth and creamy consistency. If it's too thick, you can add a bit of milk to reach the desired texture.
- Chilled Filling: Consider chilling the filling for a short time before assembly. A slightly firmer filling is easier to work with and helps maintain the cake's structure.
- Slice with a Warm Knife: When ready to serve, dip the knife in warm water before each slice. This helps achieve clean cuts, showcasing the layers without sticking.
- Creativity in Presentation: Feel free to get creative with the presentation. You can dust the top with cocoa powder, add a drizzle of chocolate sauce, or garnish with fresh berries for an extra touch of elegance.
If you're looking to make substitutions for certain ingredients in the Suzy Q Cake recipe, here are some options:
- Vegetable Oil: You can substitute vegetable oil with melted butter, canola oil, or even coconut oil for a different flavor profile.
- Whole Milk: If you don't have whole milk, you can use buttermilk, almond milk, or soy milk as alternatives.
- Marshmallow Fluff: If marshmallow fluff is unavailable, you can make your own by melting marshmallows with a little corn syrup. Alternatively, use a marshmallow creme if that's more accessible.
- Boiling Water: While boiling water enhances the chocolate flavor, you can use hot coffee for a richer taste or hot milk for added creaminess.
- All-Purpose Flour: If you prefer a different type of flour or have dietary restrictions, you can try using whole wheat flour, almond flour, or a gluten-free flour blend. Keep in mind that this may affect the texture of the cake.
Embrace the sweet nostalgia of Hostess Suzy Q Cake. May your baking adventures be filled with joy and every slice evoke cherished memories. Happy baking!